Saturday, June 18, 2011

Shoes, character breakthrough, and revised thinking on high punctuation within dialogue


Character breakthrough.
I was doing some plotting and reworking on a part of my new paranormal series and had this breakthrough. Do you know the fable of the grasshopper and the ant?  I realized my hero in this book is the ant type, jealous of the grasshopper, and my heroine is the grasshopper type trying unsuccessfully to be the ant. Oh, this helps me immensely, you can't even know.

Stop the presses! I have revised my opinion on high punctuation in dialogue.
Re-reading Meredith Duran's Bound by Your Touch, a favorite book of mine. I usually hate high punctuation within dialogue (semicolon or colon) but I've changed my tune: now I hate it in all dialogue except a certain kind of playful facetiousness, like in this scene, such a fun one, where our hero, Sanburne is wasted at his own party and his sister, sitting down next to him on the stairs, tries to get his attention:
... Elizabeth's fingers fastened onto his upper arm, digging for attention. "Do you hear me? Are you awake?"
He was curious about that, too. "Are my eyes open?"
She made a noise of exasperation, then took his chin in her grip, yanking it up so their eyes met. "They are open," she said. "Behold: it is I." 
There could be no other punctuation there but a colon. The colon is perfect! Really, I just love this behold bit of hers. These two probably grew up reading books and seeing plays that contained that sort of language, maybe still do, and here it is as part of their humorous language, the way I sometimes sing to DH: Don't do the crime if you can't do the time from the TV show Baretta. (Yup, I'm in my 40s!) Anyway, I love when characters place themselves specifically in relation to their time, instead of simply being of their time.

Sometimes when I type these things out, I discover new wonderful treasures in the writing. Like those fingers, digging for attention. And the feel of this easy sibling relationship. You get so much out of this little exchange.

Shoes
I go wildly back and forth on these shoes I got from a secondhand store. They are leather, made in Mexico, and brown, a favorite shoe color of mine. Sometimes I love them, and other times, I'm not so sure.

I am a fan of buckles on things, that is part of the attraction. And they work with bare feet. Today I love them.

Hey, happy Saturday everybody!
I have a big day job project to work on this weekend, but plan to get some novel writing in, and some exercise, and some quality time with the husband. Hmm, we'll see how that all works out. What are you all up to?

10 comments:

Sophia (FV) said...

Congrats on the character breakthrough!!

Those shoes are brown? I need a new monitor. They look pink. lol

Carolyn Crane said...

I'm glad I said brown. Pink would sure be another story.

Sophia (FV) said...

I'm serious, they look pink. I'm throwing my laptop out the window and billing you for a new one. That makes sense right?

Carolyn Crane said...

No, wait! I'm throwing my phone out the window! It's my camera phone's fault!

Sandy Williams said...

Yay for character breakthroughs!

And I adore Meredith Duran's books. She's by far my favorite historical romance writer. I think she should have a new book coming out this summmer. Will have to go check!

Chris said...

Those shoes are SOOOOO pink. Who you tryin' to kid?! :)

Did you make it out to exercise before the day of raininess started?? I didn't.

orannia said...

YAH for the character breakthrough and all the best with the new series.

I'm with FV - I thought the shoes looked pink, so it must be my monitor too :)

B.E. Sanderson said...

Maybe the pink is an optical illusion because of the red background - because they're pink here, too. I don't know about the shoes either. They do look really comfortable, though.

Congrats on the breakthrough. I'm finally back to writerly work again - which is a breakthrough in itself over here. =o)

Carolyn Crane said...

Sandy: Another new one? That would be wonderful.

Chris: I exercised indoors. Tomorrow, too, prolly.

Orannia: Thanks. And Pink!?!? I am being outvoted.

BE: Congrats on the return to writerly work, you!

J.A. Saare / Aline Hunter said...

Congrats on the break through. I have a pair of Aerosoles that sort of look like that. I wore them all the time a few years ago. All I had to do was slide them on and go.

The shoes are brown on my laptop, by thew way.