Friday, August 29, 2008

Sort of weird things that happened to me recently that sound made up and AREN'T! Pt.1



Okay, as you may or may not know, the lovely ladies of Book Binge are having SHOMI Spotlight month (go enter to win a ton of Shomi books!).  

Anyway, I was so flattered when they asked me to do a review of a Shomi. I went out to my B & N to pick one up.  I wanted to do one that everybody else wasn't reading, but I could only find the three that everybody is reading right now, and I figured surely there would be more. I thought, okay, maybe I'm not seeing the others, or they're shelved somewhere else.  

Me to the clerk: I'm looking for Shomi books.  You have three out there, but I was wondering if you have any more.

Clerk: [Blank look.]

Me: Published by Dorchester? 

Clerk:  Oh! Dorchester, okay. What's the author?

Me: I'm not sure.  But there are only a few.  I just want to know what you have in stock of Dorchester's Shomi

Clerk: [Weird look at me.]

Me: The line is [pause - I'm stressing the word now]  Shomi.

Clerk: Nervously turns the computer monitor to face me.  Dorchester has a lot of books.

Me: But within Dorchester, can you just search for, you know,  Shomi

Clerk: [Nervously gestures to screen.]  These are all the Dorchester books right here.  You can see them right here.


At this point I realize she thinks I'm actually saying Show me?  Like I'm this total bitch freak. No wonder I was making her nervous.  I felt like I was trapped in a Laurel and Hardy routine.  I doubt this is a really unique story. I've mentioned Shomi to a few other people, and if they're not hip to what it is, they really do think I'm saying SHOW ME in some freak out of context way.

Anyway, once I spelled it, she got with the program. And indeed, they only had the three.  

Then she asks me what Shomi books are like, and I tell her it's sort of in the vortex of sci fi, action adventure and romance. She suggested I try the Sookie Stackhouse series instead. Which I found a bit odd, frankly.  Though I do like those books, but they more live at the vortex of mystery and romance. I might've gone more with Linnea Sinclair. 

Anyway, the Book Binge gals hooked me up. I'm reading Liz Maverick's WIRED.  I know, it's not exactly obscure as Shomis go. But cripes!  I can't believe how much I like it!  So I'll be reviewing it over at Book Binge soon. Glowingly. Fawningly. I honestly didn't think I'd actually be finding a new author to really like with this little Shomi thing, but wow. 

20 comments:

Bridget Locke said...

Moongazer by Marianne Mancusi is a good one too. I'm very hit/miss with the Shomi line. Some are really good and some are just plain weird.

I just got Hostage to Pleasure and Wanderlust! Squee! Happy me! :)

Holly said...

This:

I might've gone more with Linnea Sinclair.

Seriously cracked me up. That is just so..well, everything. ha!

This story is hilarious. You poor girl. Or maybe it's the poor sales girl? Either way..

I can't wait for your review. :)

Wendy said...

Haha, it does sound like someone saying Show me, she probably thought you were nuts!

Can't wait for your review, I haven't read this one.

Carolyn Crane said...

Hey Bridget! Exciting new books, and exciting new avatar, too!

Holly: LOL. I think poor salesgirl.

Wendy: This one rocks!

KT Grant said...

Now if you were asking for Big Spankable Asses she may have thought you were a real freak.
Show Me!! LOL

mslizalou said...

I've never heard of teh Shomi line, but will give it a try.

Kati said...

SNORT!

I can totally see the clerk's face. She's thinking, "I *am* showing you, bitch!"

Hilarious.

Glad you're enjoying the Shomi. If you haven't read Eve Kenin's Driven you are seriously missing out!

LesleyW said...

Hvaing been a similar situation I appreciate your frustration.

Looking forward to the review.

JenB said...

I read Driven and liked it all right, so I bought up a bunch more Shomi titles, but I still haven't read them. I'm thinking Wired looks like a good one to start with. Glad to know you liked it. That gives me hope! :)

Christine said...

You Shomi yours and I'll Shomi mine? Heh.

I read Wired last fall and enjoyed it. I like a wee bit more romance than what was presented, but the story was really fascinating and very exciting. I can't wait to read your review.

Carolyn Crane said...

KB: Why does that sound like the voice of experience?

MK: that's next on my list

L: I figured it must happen a lot!

JenB: A lot of people loved that Driven!

Hey C: Shomi on.

Ladytink_534 said...

I've gotten where I don't really care for book salespeople. Thanks to all of the blogs I read and the book groups I'm in, 9 times out of 10 I can recommend better books than they can!

The Bookworm said...

Showme? Showmi.. lol
'who's on first?'
enjoy your reading :)

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time I was first introduced to the term, "tuck pointing."

Thank goodness you weren't looking for a series called Bightmi or Bleaumi or Givmayallthamoneigh. Constables would have been called.

Enchanted by Books said...

Yea you kind of have to know the authors' last name so you can just look for them alphabetically. I'm not even sure under what genre we'd find them though. I got Moongazer from the used bookstore under romance and under Marianne Mancusi's last name which luckily I remembered having read two of her other books. I do wish they would put SHOMI books on a seperate shelf like they do with Nocturne books and Category romances. They'd be so much easier to find then. So far I've only read Razorgirl and Countdown I believe but I loved them both! :)

I blogged about SHOMI books too. :)

Enchanted by Books said...

And I always find it amusing how us readers know SO much more about books then the people who work in bookstores.

Unknown said...

I never hear of "Shomi" books until today. I'll have to check them out.

Carolyn Crane said...

LadyT: I think you're right. Knowledgable book salesperson is a lost breed.

Naida: that's sort of how it was!

Ellen: LOL Definitely.

Rach: Maybe when they have more they'll get their own shelf.

Ashley: Hey! Welcome.

Tracy said...

Very funny!

Silly bookstore person!

Jill D. said...

You story totally cracks me up!!! I can picture you in the bookstore perfectly!

The Shomi line does sound interesting and I really did enjoy Driven by Eve Silver. I can't wait to hear your thoughts.