Saturday, August 28, 2010

Newsy and exciting! Now updated with mystery veggies

First off, I learned this week that Double Cross, the sequel to Mind Games, was chosen as a TOP PICK by RT Book Reviews! I am so happy and excited! It's the first-ever review of Double Cross, and I was feeling so nervous. Well, I am still nervous, but now it's more excitedly nervous today...here, an excerpt from the review:
"Crane’s Midcity novels are full of zinging, compelling heroines and dark and dangerous heroes. The push and pull between Packard and Justine is heartwrenching and inspiring. This installment is packed with tension, laughter and the perfect touch of romance; readers will be waiting in line for Crane’s next one!" 
Double Cross: RT Rating: 4.5 stars - Top Pick 
Other news:
My cat Oblio has a new attention-getting technique for when I am at my computer: biting my elbow! LOL. And I think it is so cute, that I pick him up and pet him. This is why it's probably good I don't have kids.

I noticed today that I lost like 4 follo
wers off this blog this week, and I have this worry now that my "is your baby a demon or werewolf?" post might have upset people. But hopefully it is a coincidence!

My landlord is staining the deck outside, and I might be getting a little bit lightheaded from the fumes. That is going to be my excuse for the fact that I saw
this article on Diana Rowland's facebook page and I totally thought it was real. I wanted it to be true for about an hour this morning.


Vixen Sophia and Amy aka tnsongbird are having a fresh and fun chat about Mind Games today
over at Fiction Vixen !!

Rebecca at Dirty Sexy Books has
a ton of cool newsy items in this post, and also, stop by for her book club Monday, for a discussion on Happy Hour at Casa Dracula by Marta Acosta.

have some very ambitious plans to do two highly elaborate book trailers today. AND, I have regressed on pull-ups; now I can only do 1.5. Do I have to change my progress meter? Noooooo! 


Are these tomatoes? They seem a bit tomatoey, yet strangely not. 
Late addition: Can anybody tell me what these vegetables are? Somebody gave them to us, and I might use them for salsa...maybe. I sort of think the green things are tomatoes of some sort, but I'm really not sure. Any insight and eating hints greatly appreciated!!
Very confused. These look like peppers, but the skin is not smooth like a pepper.
Tape dispenser is there to suggest size, not because we are slobs.
Okay, we are. But, that's not why it's there. 

26 comments:

Anna said...

Hey Carolyn,

Congrats on your Top Pick from RT. :)

Tracy said...

Congratulations on that RT top pick! Woohoo. I'm sure it's going to be wonderful and I can't wait to read it.

Don't get too high on those fumes. :)

And frankly I have no idea what those veggies are! lol

Penny Watson said...

I can't wait to read Double Cross!

I think those veggies are eggplants...even though they are not yet purple, the stems look like eggplants. Hmm....very strange.

writtenwyrdd said...

My cat Mikey (a very large and very very scardy cat kitty) has suddenly developed some gumption. He both smacks the Pug when he's being annoying and will pat me with his paw when he wants to be petted.

Congrats on the review at RT. That is excellent news!

Carolyn Crane said...

Anna: Thanks!!

Tracy: LOL, thanks. Yes, a mystery!

Penelope: I thought of you when I posted these, knowing your botany expertise and check it out! I think that could be a good guess on the tomatoey thing. Maybe the long ones, too.

WW: Thanks, and also, that is really funny about the patting. That would be cute to see.

Anonymous said...

I think eggplants is correct on the top veggies. The bottom ones are okra.

And big congrats -- we're all looking forward to Double Cross !

Christine said...

Hey Carolyn,
Congrats on the RT review and top pick!!! So awesome.. I can't wait to read Double Cross! =)

I agree with sonomalass... top ones eggplant, bottom ones okra.

Those eggplant look like the perfect size for stuffing and would make a great little side dish for two. Stew the okra with some tomatoes maybe... they do get kind of slimy-ish when they're cooked, but they're still tasty. Enjoy!

Carolyn Crane said...

Sonoma & Christine: Thank you! You guys rock! Okra! super new-to-me veggie. Thanks, Christine, for the hints. What do you think about stewing up some of that okra with salsa?

Do you think it can be eaten raw? I might take a bite and see.

Christine said...

Stewing the okra with some salsa is a great idea! Add some rice and you've got gumbo! ;)

I don't think it's typically eaten raw. I think it might be too woody. But if you take a bite and see... let me know!

Smash Attack Ash said...

Congrats on the RT Times pick!!

The top veg kinda looks like a tomatilla but I don't think it is. I've never seen an eggplant that looks like that, but it could be a different kind. The bottom definitely looks like okra, but I've never seen red okra. Crazy!

Jill Sorenson said...

Congrats on the top pick! Wooties!!

I also would have guessed tomatillo except that those have a skin, like a leafy covering. They make a super yummy salsa. Mmm. Now I'm hungry.

KT Grant said...

Congrats!

Team Cucumber. ;P

Anonymous said...

the round one is yes eggplant , I saw English name as round Asian eggplant

Okra is also known as lady's finger around here due to its shape ^^

Chris said...

It's good others knew the veggies. I had no clue! :D

Congrats on the great review!

Carolyn Crane said...

Christine: I ate some of an okra raw. It wasn't that good, kind of got slimy in my mouth. Maybe that's why people stew it.

Smash: It looks like an unwrapped tomatillo. However, it's too big. I love me a tomatillo!!

Jill: Thanks! Tomatilloooooos.

KB: no team okra?

Anon: Oh, thanks for that. They do look like ladies fingers!

Chris: Thanks!!

KT Grant said...

Team butternut squash! Love that veggie.

Tez Miller said...

http://www.google.com/reader/view/#directory-search/thethrillionthpage//0 According to this 405 people (including me) subscribe to this blog via GoogleReader. We are awesome! :-)

Jessica said...

I love boiled okra but then again, I grew up eating it. I like the slime :) Fry it!

And those are def. eggplant. I wish I had mystery veggies!

Spinecraker said...

This is making me more excited for the Double Cross release date to arrive! Congrats on the great review.

I LOVE okra. (alot of people dont) Its big in Indian cooking too if you ever need another way to prepare it in the future. Happy Sunday!

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

Congrats on your RT top pick!

LOL at the man from the future story.

I lost 3 followers last week too - you just made me feel better :)

You should fry the okra - it's soooo good - dice it like carrots, put in batter, and fry - it's one of my fave veggies prepared that way!

Tiffany M. said...

I <3 okra! If you aren't using it in a gumbo, you could try frying it (the way I eat it). It's kind of slimy if you boil it. It's the ingredient that makes gumbo thick--a thickening agent???

Anyway, we use a mix of cornmeal and flour to coat the okra, and then fry with oil with dashes of salt and pepper. You can freeze the okra after it's been coated, too, for fried okra at a later time.

Congrats on being a top pick. ^^

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the RT top pick!! Double Cross just may be totally awesome and I may just know that for a fact. Can't wait for the official release!

Carolyn Crane said...

Tez: Wow!!! That is really cool! I didn't know. Thanks!

Jessica: I think you deserve mystery veggies, too.

SpineC: I LOVE Indian food. That is a tempting thought.

Patti: Oh, good, that makes me feel better. Maybe some people just blinked out of blogger. And I like your fry-up recipe.

Tiffany: Thanks for the freezing tip! It's hot in the kitchen these days.

RRR: I was just thinking about you today! Thanks for stopping by!!

orannia said...

Congrats on the top pick.

And I'm now going to Google okra :)

azteclady said...

I believe the first ones are tomatillos, a variety of tomatoes that is used in Mexico to make salsa verde (you also need onions, chiles verdes--not jalapeños--garlic, oil, etc.--just see a recipe here)

As for the second veggies, I know I should know what they are... okra, I believe?

Joanna Chambers said...

I am so behind - the RT thing: wonderful!

The round ones look like those little round green aubergines (eggplants you call them?) you get in Thai green curries.

And okra, or ladies fingers as they are called too. I love them in an Indian curry. Very nice.