Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend Entertainment Roundup

Broken by Megan Hart I just finished this last night, further establishing Hart as one of my all-time favorite writers. I kept saying over and over how this book is so compelling. That is the ultimate word for it. I mean, I thought about it all the time when I wasn't reading it. I just wanted to be reading it. It's one of those stories that flips around a bit, and every facet was gripping. I loved reading this book.

Tempest Rising by Nicole Peeler I always sort of tremble a bit when I pick up a book of somebody I know and like in real life, or in Peeler's case, virtually, because, what if I don't like it? Wow, never fear on the Tempest.

This series has taken its place in my pantheon of bright, shiny, sexy, go-to series, right next to Kresley Cole's and Charlaine Harris's. First, I loved this heroine: vulnerable, fascinating, careful. Also, there's my favorite kind of love triangle brewing here where both options are hugely attractive, but you definitely know who the hero is. Yummy imaginative world building with dashes of smutty goodness all along the way. The next can't come soon enough.

Lost: So is it over? I stopped watching in the second season, convinced the writers didn't have a master plan. Was I wrong? What's the deal with the island? Is it like that Star Trek where it's just the projections of people's thoughts?

Life: This is a new cop series DH and I are trying off Netflix. It's like, this cop who was sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit, and gets into Zen, then he is exonerated, and he uses his half-baked Zen abilities and newfound angle on life to be a better cop, and solve the plotty conspiracy that sent him to prison in the first place. So far so good, though a bit klunky (think the annoyingness of Data in the first season of Star Trek Next Gen). And, it's no Wire or Shield, but we'll see. Anybody else have a report on if this show gets good?

A Serious Man (Coen Brothers): DH and I rented this movie as a pick-me-up comedy, which ought to greatly amuse anybody who has watched it. I take it as the Coen brothers' meditation on mortality and the meaninglessness of life, and I didn't much like it while I was watching it, but I came to like it in a highly oblique way later. I read a review where the last scenes were mysterious to the reviewer, but to me, the last scenes put the whole movie into focus. I think I feel fondest of the movie when I look back on it as an art object rather than a movie, and think about its images and the odd repeating messages that seem very Rohrschach-like. In certain moods, I look back on the ending and appreciate it on a kind of dark way.

Mario Acevedo's insane new book trailer:
I love all the little WTF moments in this.


Latebreaking link: Romance Fiction X Geekery OTP: Hey, I love this post (by Bonnie Walling), about how romance is now the geekiest genre ever, in a newly hip way, due to all the mashups. Yeah! Check it out. I found it via Lynn Viehl's wonderful author blog, Paperback Writer.

16 comments:

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

Heheh...I like the comparison of the lead in Lost to Data - I can totally see that. I heart Tempest Rising too..now whenever I think of Ryu I think of the song "Smooth Operator" by Sade.

Chris said...

Paperback Writer rocks! :)

Wow, you had a media immersion weekend!

KT Grant said...

Lost makes me all GRRR because they make me scream at the TV.

WickedLilPixie said...

Have you rented Third Watch? Old cop/ems/fire show from the 90's? Thats still my favorite of any of the cop dramas!

Carolyn Crane said...

Heather, do you mean the lead in Life? So, are you watching it too? What do you think?

Chris: I didn't consume ALL this media this weekend! LOL. It built up!

KB: Yeah! I bet!

Wicked: No, have not rented that! Wait, is that the Dennis Leary? I've been thinking of giving it a try. Either way, I'll check out Third Watch!!

Leslie said...

Broken is my favorite Megan Hart. Serious love for that book!

Never could get into Lost. But I did recently start watching Fringe. It's gross and funny and fascinating. Great combination. :)

Renee said...

GOT to pull Broken off of my tbr and read it! You convinced me to read Deeper (which I loved), so this sounds like another winner.

Much love for Anyan. And, I love Jane's character in Tempest Rising.

I left Lost a few seasons ago when it felt like it was convoluted for the sake of being convoluted, not to make any sense or entertain anyone. (I hate it when tv shows do that!)

We totally missed that Coen Bros film. So, it wasn't another Raising Arizona, huh?

Off to ck out Lynn's and Bonnie's blogs!

Have a great Sunday, CJ!

Joanna Chambers said...

I really must read more Hart - I loved Dirty.

I came out of A Serious Man feeling shell-shocked. It's pretty nihilistic, and just saved from utter bleakness by the sympathetic observational humour at its core. I came away feeling like they were saying there is all of this but it's pointless - except for its own sake.

Or something.

Rosie said...

I think BROKEN might be my favorite Hart too, however I just read SWITCH and while the characters aren't as compelling, I actually used sticky notes to mark passages of Hart-isms that boggled. Oh to write like that...

Nicole Peeler said...

Thanks lady!!!! YAY! You are awesome. So glad you enjoyed it.

And I LOVED "A Serious Man." It's a retelling of the story of Job . . . I may be slightly obsessed with it. ;-)

Kaetrin said...

I know what you mean about Broken. It definitely stayed with me. I found myself quite melancholy. The whole book had such an air about it. It actually took me a couple of goes to finish because it was so sad - I sobbed my heart out toward the end - I don't know what I was hoping for (sorry if I'm being vague but I don't want to give away any spoilers for those who haven't read it) - this author can really push my buttons; I felt such sympathy for each character and such grief for them.

I think I enjoyed Dirty better but that's probably because (IMO) it had a happier "feel" about it, albeit that the subject matter was a bit dark.

I have a lot of time for Megan Hart - her words just seem to hang with me. In a good way.

Carolyn Crane said...

Leslie: It might be mine now, too. I didn't think it would be! I didn't realize or at least remember it was your fave, too. I can see why.

Renee: oh, def. Broken is just, wow. You and I are the Anyan fan club.

T: Oh, good summary. Yes. except for its own sake. Though now, Nicole's Job comment...

Rosie: That is GREAT because I haven't yet read Switch. Something to look forward to.

Nicole: So loved it, and WHAT'S this about Job?? I feel so ignorant now.

Kaetrin: I agree, Broken is the heavier book, though I found it hopeful in its way. But wasn't it just SO intense? And don't you love when a book stays with you like that?

Kwana said...

Thanks for the entertainment wrap up. I'm trying to get back into lost after missing 2 seasons. Totally impossible. Love that trailer!

Heather (DarklyReading) said...

Opps..I do mean the lead in Life..I need to proofread my comments better ;) It's an interesting show - I like the larger mystery of who actually committed the murder he was sent to jail for, I'm not sure if the show is coming back for more seasons though which would be a bummer!

Kaetrin said...

@Carolyn.
Yes, I do love it when a book stays with you. It's so rare. With Broken, I found myself stopping at odd times during the day and wondering how the characters were - as if they were real. Which is bizarre and a bit, erm, crazy8bonkers really!!

prashant said...

I think of the song "Smooth Operator" by Sade.

your healthy choice