Monday, September 8, 2008

My "The Duke & I" X-Files moment



Am I still on  The Duke & I  by Julia Quinn? Yes I am. It got pre-empted by a couple other books, but now it's back on my radar.

Actually, I finished it. And overall I rather enjoyed it! But I have two things I want to discuss. The first is the cover. This copy was lent to me by Sarai, so it's not the cover you see now when you go to B & N. But I sometimes stare at in in bed thinking, what IS that thing in the background? That roundish, metal-looking thing. Is it a water tower? It's not like I take a magnifying glass to it. The thing is really clear. It doesn't look Regency to me.

Even with my rudimentary skills with Photoshop, it would take me about five minutes to erase it and replace it with sky.

I have consulted with Dear Husband on it. He agreed it appears to be a modern water tower of some sort, though his agreement may have had more to do with his wanting to get back to his own book and not stare at the cover of mine.

So what is it? Can anybody tell me? Because it looks like a late 20th century water tower.

Theory 1: Maybe Regency-era construction was such that this sort of thing could have been produced, and I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Theory 2: It has something to do with the World's Fair, or one of those exhibitions they put on. Like they had one in North and South.

Theory 3: The cover is supposed to be like that, and it is saying, here is your suburban home in the background, but this book will transport you to the Regency era.

Theory 4: The work of a disgruntled book cover designer.

I'll discuss the second thing tomorrow, or Wednesday. The second thing is about sex! And it is a spoiler. 

20 comments:

Portia Da Costa said...

Actually, it looks a bit like the dome of a large telescope or observatory. Not sure when the first big telescopes were built though... *Could* have been as far back as the Regency.

KT Grant said...

I agree with Portia. Perhaps a church or a huge dome of a church.

Carolyn Crane said...

Observatory is an interesting thought, as it seems to have a walking area on the top. The church, I don't know. Weren't those domes smoother? I'm trying to think back to college. All I'm getting is flying buttresses.

KT Grant said...

When I think of flying buttresses I think of the Flying Nun.

lbgregg said...

Sweet girl. That is jiffy pop popcorn. A delicious and nutritious snack.

Ladytink_534 said...

Sorry, I haven't got a clue what that is. I agree it looks a bit like an observatory dome but I think the first one was built in the 1930s. Not sure. It kind of looks like a giant water balloon or purse to me.

Tracy said...

That is truly bizarre. Why THAT house with the strange dome on it? I'm gonna go with disgruntled book cover designer! Or the jiffy pop. :)

Nicola O. said...

Being from the midwest, the first thing that comes to my mind is some kind of grain silo. But it's too close to the house.

Hmmmm.

Kati said...

I agree with Portia, that's the first thing I thought -- that it was an observatory. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that it's supposed to be the Royal Observatory.

It could also, conceivably be the indoor part of a botanical garden. They often have domed roofs too.

JenB said...

I agree with Portia. It looks like an observatory. Creepy! LOL

LisaMM said...

Hi Carolyn! I can't find a way to send you an email but I have a question for you. COuld you please email me at lisamunleyATcaDOTrrDOTcom?

THanks!

Kristie (J) said...

First thing I thought of too was an observatory.

sula said...

Ok, I'll add a non-traditional POV...imo, it almost looks like a mosque. At least most of the ones where I grew up looked like that. Not so much in Regency England? hrm.

observatory then. Or maybe a disgruntled cover artist. I like that theory too.

Christine said...

The outhouse? ;p

I think its an observatory.

The Bookworm said...

lol! 'X-files moment'
thats an interesting topic...I dont know what that thing is. Observatory does sound like a good guess.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Katie Reus said...

I was thinking observatory, but if you hadn't enlarged it, I wouldn't have noticed anything, lol :)

LesleyW said...

Definitely another vote for observatory.

Anonymous said...

It's an observatory. You can see where it opens down the middle.

Big telescopes were in use well before the Regency. (Isn't there an amateur astronomer in a Pam Rosenthal book?) I have no idea when that split-sphere dome design began, but many observatories still look like that.

The Tome Traveller said...

My Dad is an astronomer and I would say that REALLY looks like an observatory! I've been to many, that's what they look like.

Carolyn Crane said...

Okay, I'm thinking observatory! Thanks, all of you, for clearing this mystery up.

A mystery that, apparently, was only a mystery to me.